Description

There is a reason "ecology" and "economics" have the same root.

A small, Midwestern farmer rambles on about inevitable sustainability.

Monday, September 3, 2012

About me and this blog

I'm living the dream.

At 35, I left work to be a full-time small farmer on 8 relatively nice (if rather flat) acres in rural Indiana. My house is 150 years old and throughout those years the land has changed more than the building.

I have a great dog, a bunch of chickens and a lot of books. I don't have a TV or a cell phone or a newspaper subscription, or even a Facebook account. I find it joyful to avoid the meaningless right/left/liberal/conservative/democrat/republican/progressive/tea party squabbles that populate those places. It's September, 2012 and I have not seen a single Presidential campaign ad this year.

I hate voting. When I grew up in NY, elections were fantastic, hopeful days. When you voted in NY, you got to walk into the most amazing booth, pull a big red handle to close a curtain and hear a satisfying "click click click" as you flipped the levers under (over?) the names of your candidates. Then, you pulled the big red handle again which opened the curtain and cast your votes. I don't think NY has those machines any more, but they will forever remain a magical place in my head.

Voting in NY took place in many school buildings. In middle school we were allowed to cast pretend votes a few days before the election as they were setting up the machines. Ross Perot won by a landslide.

Now, I vote electronically in a church.

And by "vote" I mean that write in for all national, and many state offices. 2012 could be the year for the "Katniss Everdeen/Annie's Boobs" ticket.

What do I do with my time if I'm not worrying about some stupid thing some idiot said to some pompous talking head? How do I fill those disconnected hours that should be spent texting or playing Farmville?

I look at the clouds. Indiana has some great clouds.

I grow food. I preserve it.

I watch baby chickens following their mama around the field, pecking at new and exciting insects.

I sit quietly.

I think.

Before Indiana, and after NY, I lived in DC, working for advocacy organizations. My former employers were non-partisan social justice organizations, but everyone is DC is partisan. Blindly partisan. I moved to DC as an idealist and left a cynic.

I'm telling you this because, in this ridiculously divided country, it seems that we only want to listen to people who say things we agree with. And we only want to shout louder than the people on the other side. You're with me, or you are the spawn of Hitler and Satan.

All that stuff up there ^ is my attempt to be on the side of everyone. I live in the Midwest, but I used to live in NY. I have an old farm, but I moved here from a new highrise city apartment. I've read The Hunger Games and watched Community.

It seems to me we've had our fun breaking into two camps and pounding on each other. Now, I think we should try respectful discourse. This blog is my whispered prayer in the fury of that storm (see - I can even reference country music).

I encourage you to disagree with me. I love being politely and intelligently told I am wrong. I find it to be the best way to grow and learn.




No comments:

Post a Comment